Your home is a sanctuary, a place where you return at the end of a busy day to relax and unwind. A significant part of maintaining your comfort within your home is your Heater, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system. While you’ll always need professional heating service in Orland Park, IL & Homer Glen, IL, and HVAC services in Alsip, IL & Lemont, IL, there are also tasks you can perform yourself to keep your system in excellent condition.
1. Regularly Replace or Clean Your Filters: This is one of the simplest yet critical HVAC maintenance tasks you can do by yourself. Clogged filters impede your system’s efficiency, leading to increased energy consumption and a reduced lifespan for your unit. Depending on the environment of your residence, consider changing your filter every 30 to 90 days.
2. Keep Your Outdoor Unit Clean: If your exterior HVAC unit is surrounded by dirt, leaves, grass clippings, or other types of debris, it may not function at its optimum. Take time to clean around the unit and remove debris to ensure it can draw enough air.
3. Check Your Thermostat: Sometimes, the problem isn’t with your unit but the thermostat. Regularly test your thermostat to make sure it is working correctly and reading the right temperatures. You may need to change your batteries every so often.
4. Clear Your Drain Line: Located near your indoor cooling coil, usually mounted on top of your furnace, is a drain. By using a cup of chlorine bleach and flushing it with a gallon of water, you can keep your drain clear and prevent build-up.
5. Inspect Your Ductwork for Leaks: Leaky ductwork can reduce the efficiency of your system substantially. Do a regular spot check and use foil tape to seal minor leaks. For more significant leaks, you may need to call in professionals for HVAC repair in Oak Lawn, IL.
6. Check Your Circuit Breaker: If your HVAC system isn’t working, it could be as simple as a tripped circuit breaker. It’s an easy DIY task to reset the breaker; however, if the problem persists, you should reach out to an expert.
7. Regularly Schedule Professional Maintenance: While you can do a lot to help maintain your HVAC system, regular professional servicing is essential. Experts can foresee potential problems and handle complex tasks like furnace repair in Tinley Park, IL.
Remember, while DIY tasks can save you expenses in the short run, never hesitate to call in professional service for complex issues. A well-maintained HVAC system makes your home comfortable and also increases the value of your property. Your comfort is a worthwhile investment.